Translate This Page
“Cowpunchers took just what they got – sowbelly, beans and the ol’ coffeepot.”
Pease Porridge Recipe
- 1 lb split peas
- 2 eggs
- 2 T butter
- salt and pepper
- Soak and cook split peas, drain liquid, and puree peas. Mash peas into a smooth puree.
- Add butter, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Pour into a greased bowl and cover tightly so it won’t dry out.
- Steam for 1 hour.
- Place bowl on a trivet in a Dutch oven.
- Place 2 inches of water in the bottom of the Dutch oven, cover tightly, and bake for 20 minutes at 350F.
- Left-overs can be sliced and fried in butter.
* Traditionally served with pork or sausage.