Translate This Page
Big Bend Bean Dip Recipe
THE STRANGE SIGHT of camel caravan moving along "lower road" between San Antonio and El Paso both frightened and angered the Indians and ranchers of West Texas in the mid-1800's. This U.S. Army experiment to replace mules with camels was a temporary success because the camels could carry heavier loads, go without water for extended periods of time and survive by eating desert shrubs. The Civil War ended the experiment and many of the camels were allowed to wander off into the hills of the Vig Bend Country or were auctioned the the public by the federal government from Camp Verde, near Kerrville, Texas.
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup sharp cheese, grated
- 1 4-once can jalapeno chilies, drained, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mash beans until quite smooth or blend in blender. (Set aside.)
- Saute onion in bacon drippings or butter until soft.
- Add beans and remaining ingredients and srtir over low heat until cheese melts.
Serve warm with corn chips or tostados.