Translate This Page
It was because of my great interest in the West, and my belief that its development would be assisted by the interest I could awaken in others, that I decided to bring the West to the East through the medium of the Wild West Show.
Cowboy Beans Recipe
- 2 cups dried red beans
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 3 green chile peppers, grilled and diced
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, grilled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 7 quarts water or vegetable stock
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 teaspoon toasted coriander seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole dried red chile peppers
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Cookie ( name given to the cook.) at his chuckwagon preparing the meals,
- Soak beans overnight in water to cover, changing water once; drain.
- When beans are ready, saute onion, garlic, green chiles and tomatoes in oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add water or stock and ham hock; bring to a boil.
- Add beans, coriander seed, bay leaf and dried chiles. Continue to boil for 30 minutes, then lower heat, cover and simmer for three to four hours, until beans are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 16 servings.