Translate This Page
Sonofabitch Stew Recipe
The chuck wagon cook was the king. He ruled the wagon with an absolute hand. Because the morale of the men and the smooth functioning of the camp depended largely upon him, the cook’s authority was unquestioned. Even the wagon boss walked softly in the vicinity of the chuck wagon cook.
- Kill off a young steer.
- Cut up beef, liver and heart into I -inch cubes; slice the marrow gut into small rings.
- Place in a Dutch oven or deep casserole.
- Cover meat with water and simmer for 2 to 3 hours.
- Add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
- Take sweetbreads and brains and cut in small pieces. Add to stew. Simmer another hour, never boiling.