Translate This Page
Sourdough Biscuits Recipe
In the Old West, sourdough was a dietary staple of pioneers, miners, and cowboys.
This biscuit recipe originated with Richard Bolt, a cook at the renowned Pitchfork Ranch near Guthrie, Texas, for more than 40 years.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, form a hollow in 4 cups flour and pour in 4 cups sourdough starter.
- Add salt, sugar, baking powder, and shortening. Mix well. \
- Pinch off balls about the size of an egg and place in a well-greased 14-inch Dutch Oven or cast-iron skillet.
- Grease tops generously and set aside in a warm place to rise, about 5-10 minutes. (The closer the biscuits are crowded in the pan, the higher they will rise.)
- Bake 30 minutes or until nicely browned. Consistent heat is crucial when using a Dutch Oven.