Translate This Page
Western Baked Beans Recipe
A hearty and zippy baked bean recipe with chili pepper. (Add to taste) With extra flavor of lentils in the ban mix.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, drained
- Lightly fry bacon in a heavy 3-qt. saucepan.
- Add onion; cook until transparent.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring once or twice.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.